Monday, 16 April 2012

Long legs might make for a faster runner, but...

... It is making it very difficult to find kit to fit.


Being tall has always brought with it problems when trying to find clothes to fit but oddly enough not in the way most folks of average verticalness would think. I don't have a problem finding bottoms to fit, when out on the bike or now running I tend to go for shorts or 3/4 lengths anyway so bottoms present no problem to most skyward-bound goddesses such as myself.



Tops, however are a different matter entirely. Long sleeved tops NEVER have long enough sleeves (even cycling cut tops which are SUPPOSED to have longer sleeves) and they always seem to be just that bit too short in the body length to stop riding up over my gut. I've no doubt if I were thinner this wouldn't be so much of an issue but I really don't want my top riding up mid-run/cycle exposing my gut to innocent passers-by. That's just a police report for indecent exposure waiting to happen. Not good.

My alternative in the past has been to buy mens tops which are generally cut longer but there's a problem with that - I'M NOT A MAN! Gees, I don't want to wear mens tops all the time. They always come in colours more akin to combat gear and I don't want to look like I just crawled off an assault course. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be clad in pink head-to-toe because that's hardly my style either, but something other than black or navy would be nice. Besides, mens cuts are always a bit baggy around the sides - the extra chest-girth is great for accommodating the twins but they just don't fit like a womans cut.

It seems like such a simple thing - I just want a midweight longsleeved baselayer that fits and doesn't make me look like I'm a ninja in training but heaven help me I just can't find such a thing. I've googled everything I can think of - "outdoor clothes for tall women, fitness kit for tall girls, extra long baselayers" you name it I've googled it and I just can't find anything which specifically states it's longer than average for women.

What's a girl to do.

If anyone knows of a company which may be able to help or could ask around for me I'd be eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment