I can't seem to wrap my head around the notion that because I can now run, that makes me a runner. After years of assuming that I couldn't run (either because of my asthma or because of my weight) it's proving difficult to get away from that mindset. So I can run a few miles, that doesn't make me a bona fide runner does it?
Will my mindset change of it's own accord or will I have to keep drilling it into my head in order to believe it? I always felt such pride in calling myself a mountain biker even though I wasn't ever very good at it, but I feel almost embarrassed calling myself a runner. Not embarrassed because I think it's an embarrassing thing to do, far from it, it's just something which some people take so seriously and I fear I'll be criticised for only being able to run a few miles and only managing a 10 minute mile.
I must get my headspace sorted. I must accept that I can legitimately call myself a runner now, regardless of how far or fast I am able to run. This weekend marks Jane and I's first real stepping out - we go for a run by ourselves. No class, no instructor, no parkrun, just me and Jane chasing pavements.
So, we'll be running away from the safe bosom of our instructor or peers... Now THAT makes me a runner.
Today's motivational phrase: It doesn't matter whether it's a 7 minute mile or a 14 minute mile. A mile is still a mile.

No comments:
Post a Comment